Grouting Your Mosaic
To be carried out under Adult Supervision
Things that you will need:
- Small bowl or plastic container
- Dry sponge
- Damp cloth
- Polishing Cloth
- Prepare the area where you intend to grout, i.e. cover down table / floor with newspaper.
- Mask off the edge of your mosaic piece.
- Tip most of the grout from the plastic bag into the bowl, leaving a bit in the bag.
- Slowly add the water. Very small drops at a time…i.e. spoon by spoon.
- Continually stir the grout mixing it well, until it is the consistency of porridge.
- NB. if, by mistake, you pour in too much water, leave the grout for a couple of minutes until it starts to set/cure, whereby it will dry out to the correct consistency. OR add in a little extra grout that you originally left in the bag.
- Once the mixture is at the correct consistency, spread the grout, using your hands in a circular motion, until each little space is filled with grout. At this stage you will be unable to see the tiles as everything will be covered in grout.
- Pay particular attention to the edges of your piece. Fill in the space that you can see at the edge between the border tile and the base. I find it easiest to hold the piece in one hand (a bit like a waiter holding a tray), keeping it at eye level so that you can see if you have missed any areas.
- Leave the grouted piece for a couple of minutes.
- Next, using a sponge GENTLY wipe off the excess grout.
- If you feel that you are pulling grout out of the spaces then the grout is still too wet. Leave another few minutes until it dries out a little more and use the sponge again to clean off.
- At this stage you will start to see the tiles and your design. Again, leave it another few minutes.
- Remove the masking tape from around your mosaic and smooth any little bits with your finger.
- When it dries out to the extent that the face of the tiles look smudgy with dry grout, take a damp (damp… not wet) and GENTLY rub the face of the tiles.
- When happy that it is cleaned enough, leave the piece and taking another dry soft cloth, polish the mosaic. As the grout will be considerably harder, you will not have to be as gentle.
Top Tip – add the water slowly, a small bit at a time, to prevent the grout becoming TOO wet.